Endurance Crackers

Some time back we had a big discussion over on the Love is in the Details forum, about the benefits of Chia, the latest superfood!  I was all like, isn't that a hair growth product?….or…..something?  Actually, I was informed, it's a fantastic way to increase fibre in your diet, gram for gram out performing ground flax.  So I bought a bag.  And threw it into everything from porridge and summer muesli to drinks and smoothies.  Then a couple of months ago, I read Born to Run, and learned about it's energy and hydration benefits. At least it's what's kept the Tarahumara running long after the Energizer Bunny has collapsed.

So when this recipe showed up in my inbox, I had to give it a try!  It's easy, quick, and wayyy tastier than it looks!  So I'm sharing it with you!


Endurance Crackers (recipe makes about 22 crackers so I doubled it.)
Ingredients:
1/2 C chia seeds
1/2 C sunflower seeds
1/2 C pepita seeds (or pumpkin seeds)
1/2 C sesame seeds
1 C water
1 large clove garlic (I used more)
1 tsp grated sweet onion (again, more)
1/4 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)


Herbamare & Kelp granules to taste



Instructions:

-Preheat oven to 325°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

-In a bowl, mix the seeds together.  In a small bowl mix the water, grated garlic and grated onion. Whisk well.  Pour the water mixture onto the seeds and stir until thick and combined.  Season with salt and optional Herbamare and Kelp granules to taste.  Add spices or fresh herbs if you wish.

-Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet with the back of a spoon until it's less than 1/4"   thick.  If it becomes thin in places just patch it up.

-Bake at 325°F for 30 mins.  At that point, take them out, cut into squares, or diamonds, or whatever, and then carefully flip them over.  Bake for another 30 mins, but check on them from 20 mins on.  The bottoms will be lightly golden in color.  Allow to cool completely on the pan.  Store in a container.  If they make it that far.
I believer this recipe came from Oh She Glows blog.


Also, because I didn't have any Herbamare, and didn't feel like chasing around trying to find some, I made my own.  It's not that hard.

Ingredients:
1/2 C sea salt
1/4 C dried parsely
2 tsps onion powder
2 tsps garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp sage
1 tsp basil
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp dried kelp (I didn't have it so I skipped it.)

Directions:
Place all the ingredients in a food processor and chop until smooth and blended.  Store in an airtight bag.

Instead of 1 tsp each of the individual spices of oregano, rosemary, thyme, sage, basil - I used 5 tsps of Italian seasoning.  It's all there, mixed up and ready to use.








Comments

Popular Posts